The following is from the “Motion to Establish the Role and Guidelines of the GSR Committee and Its Relationship to the General Service Board, World Service Conference and the UA Groups” (passed at the WSC 2018 and amended at the WSC 2020.)
The Role of the GSR Committee
The Upside Down Triangle is the basic model for UA’s Service Structure. The GSR Committee plays a primary world service leadership role in UA’s Upside Down Triangle. It derives its position as such from its GSRs who are the elected representatives of their Groups. It has the power to speak and act on behalf of the members of UA. It also brings important information about UA to their Groups. It is a representative voice for UA members worldwide. The GSR Committee has no other authority than the Groups they represent and Higher Power.
Guidelines of the GSR Committee
- The GSR Committee will meet at least once a month for 90 minutes and follow Robert’s Rules of Order.
- The GSR Committee will be a World Service Conference-Approved Committee that elects its own Chair meets year around, and puts forth its own agenda.
- The GSR Committee may create committees or subcommittees which will serve UA as a whole.
- The GSR Committee shall meet with the General Service Board at each World Service Conference (WSC). It also may meet with the General Service Board between World Service Conferences.
- The GSR Committee may only make suggestions or recommendations to UA Groups.
- Only GSRs may vote at GSR Committee meetings and at its Subcommittee meetings.
- The GSR Committee reports and Minutes will be posted on the UA Website.
- The Relationship of the GSR Committee to the GSB and the World Service Conference Planning Committee. The GSR Committee is interdependent with and autonomous from the General Service Board (GSB) and the World Service Conference Planning Committee. It will seek to have a collaborative relationship with the GSB and the WSC Planning Committee; and it will prepare and give oral reports at the GSB meetings to facilitate communication between these two key entities in UA’s Service Structure.
- The Responsibilities of the GSR Committee are as follows:
(a) The GSR Committee will bring the following to the WSC: Conference topics and Motions which affect UA as a whole to be discussed and voted on at the WSC.
(b) Inform GSRs on their responsibilities and prepare them for the World Service Conference.
(c) Provide support to meeting Groups.
(d) Encourage GSRs to participate in standing committees and subcommittees.
- This Committee will follow the guidelines for all World Service Conference-Approved Committees, as passed by the WSC on November 17, 2019.