Following Are the Suggested Duties and Qualifications of the UA GSRs:
● These duties and qualifications are suggested only; and per the 4th Tradition, each group is autonomous and may adopt the duties and qualifications for its GSR per its group conscience.
● A GSR represents a UA Group or Intergroup. A Group is defined as a meeting or a group of meetings that shares one business meeting. A UA Group is represented by one GSR. An Intergroup provides service and coordinates events for multiple Groups in a particular geographic area. Each Intergroup is represented by one GSR.
Each Group or Intergroup may also have a GSR Alternate who attends meetings and World Service Conferences when their GSR is not available. A GSR has one vote for each voting item at the World Service Conference and at the GSR Committee meetings even if the GSR represents more than one group.
● Is actively working the Steps in UA. Has completed at least UA’s Steps One through Five with a UA Sponsor.
● Practices kindness and consideration in words and actions.
● Has a working knowledge of the UA 12 Traditions, and the GSR will have a working knowledge of the UA 12 Concepts of World Service, as approved by the UA World Service Conference.
● Has demonstrated a consistent commitment of service in UA.
● Has 90 days solvency (solvency being self-defined).
● Attends GSR Committee monthly meetings.
● Will attend General Service Board (GSB) monthly meetings and/or read the current GSB meeting minutes.
● Will attend or send a GSR Alternate to a World Service Conference during their service term.
● Will make reports to their Group(s), including significant items from the World Service Conferences, GSR Committee Meetings and GSB Meetings.
● Will collect information, concerns and feedback from their Group(s) to bring to the GSR Committee and the World Service Conferences.
● Will serve a one to two year term.
● Represents a UA Group or Intergroup whose meetings he/she regularly attends.
● Is not already acting as a GSR for another UA meeting Group or Intergroup.
● Is not a Trustee of the UA General Service Board.
● To ensure effective leadership, each GSR has the Right of Decision as guided by their Higher Power in their voting at the GSR Committee Meetings and at the World Service Conference, per Concept of World Service Number 3. (i.e. the GSRs need not go back to their groups in order to vote on new motions at the WSC and GSR Committee Meetings or to vote differently than their groups’ directions if presented with significant amendments or information).
Background Information: This Motion passed by the GSR Committee at the Work Session of the WSC 2020, on Oct. 16, 2020, amended as seen above. The original motion was passed in December, 2017 by the GSR Committee, after taking the motion back to our Groups. As of October 2020, there were four active Intergroups in UA: Iran Intergroup, Los Angeles Intergroup, New York Intergroup, and the UK Intergroup.
Amended Motion to Approve Suggested Duties and Qualifications of the UA GSRs
(Status: Passed in December, 2017; amended on October 27, 2019, amended on October 16, 2020.)